The story of how a 30-something carnivorous daughter-of-a-trapper ventured into a bold new vegan world.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A borrowed, revised potato soup recipe with review!

I found this recipe for "Easy Potato Soup" here:  http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/02/quick-and-easy-potato-soup.html.   The original recipe is as follows: 

Quick and Easy Potato Soup

(printer-friendly version)
Potatoes can be microwaved, boiled, steamed, or even baked beforehand, but microwaving is quickest.
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cooked and peeled, if desired
1/2 small onion
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (using more will make it spicy)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon raw cashews or 1/2 tbsp. cashew butter (optional)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 1/2 cups low-fat soymilk or other non-dairy milk


Regular Blender/Stovetop Users: Chop the onion and sauté it until soft in a medium-sized saucepan. Cut the potatoes into cubes and add 2/3 of them to the pan, along with the broth, rosemary, white pepper, and salt. Simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes. Pour into blender along with cashew butter, soymilk, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth. Return to pan, add remaining potatoes, and cook, stirring often, over low heat until hot.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving, with cashews: 131 Calories (kcal); 1g Total Fat; (8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 306mg Sodium; 2g Fiber. Weight Watchers 2 Points.

Without cashews: Per serving: 119 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (1% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 305mg Sodium; 2g Fiber. Weight Watchers Core/ 2 Points.

I followed the basic concept.  First, I boiled the potatoes and set them aside.  Then, I sauteed onions and garlic in olive oil in my stock pan with thyme instead of the rosemary suggested above.  When they were soft and delicious, I dumped the potatoes back in and infused them with that yummy flavor.  I added some homemade vegetable stock and let this all simmer about 15 minutes.  Then, I added 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons of cashews (no milk, as it turned out all I had in the fridge was vanilla and chocolate almond milk) and used the blender to turn it all into an incredibly creamy, rich tasting potato soup.  I topped this with homemade salt & pepper croutons I made out of wheat bread. 

John and I loved it.  It needed a little more salt and pepper, IMO (and my husband thought it would be delicious with the addition of corn).  My four-year old said it was "good", though I suspect his favorite part was the croutons.  My two-year old, who is a notoriously picky eater, probably ate one crouton and 1/4 cup of the soup itself.  That's typical, so I would definitely make this soup again.  Give it a try and let me know what you think!  

No comments:

Post a Comment