The story of how a 30-something carnivorous daughter-of-a-trapper ventured into a bold new vegan world.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

A "Whole Foods" field trip

So, yesterday we loaded up the kids and headed to Whole Foods, in search of a seitan product I'd found online (Field Roast; you can read about it here:  http://www.fieldroast.com/).  I have never had seitan.  Heck, I don't even know how to say it.  However, the hazelnut cranberry roast en croute looked delicious and convinced me I should give this seitan a try.  It's grain based, not made of the controversial soy.  Those of you who know me know I'll try anything once, so off we went!

I found the beautiful roast in the freezer section.  I liked the packaging.  I didn't like the $22 price tag.  No roast for us today.  Since we were there, we navigated the aisles (which my husband deemed "full of douchebags") in exploration. 

We got a 6-pack of Cable Car Brewing Company lager for $5.99.  Hooray!  Then, we picked up Field Roast frankfurters ($5.99 for a 6-pk) and almond milk chocolate pudding ($3.99 for a 6-pk).  Lots of produce rounded out the experience (a family cannot live on 6-pks alone).  I wanted to explore the deli/packaged foods more, but since the store was packed, that will have to wait for another trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment